Welcome!


Each of us is experiencing a profound personal journey, and the stories we have to tell are beautiful and sad and awe-inspiring and scary. This blog is my story, and I'm excited to share it.


What this blog is about:

- The struggles of a northern country girl living in a fast-paced southern city.
- Homesteading research and planning, like deciding what food to grow and what animals to raise in the cold north.
- Art and creative projects I'm working on.
- My life goals including those related to art, writing, and homesteading.
- Nature and natural science, such as information on species I find interesting both in northern Minnesota and southern California.
- The journey that will lead my boyfriend and I out of the heat and into the snow.

Please read my first blog entry where I explain how I got where I am, where I'm going, and what this blog has to do with it: The Beginning

I would be honored if you joined me. Simply sign up your email address just below and to the right of this text - it's 100% free. By subscribing you become part of my motivational team, even if you never say a word. I need you!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Do I miss California? Only a little bit...

In my notes for the book I'm writing I have a list of all the pros and cons I've experienced living in SoCal as well as up here in Minnesota. Over the next few days I'm going to share some of them here.

Many people move to California in pursuit of big dreams and end up staying long after their initial enthusiasm dies, simply because it's incredibly difficult to leave. You become complacent and adapt, and the rest of the world starts to feel like another planet entirely. SoCal is it's own little world - a dirty rat race where people pretend they're important but are actually hollow inside, just going through the motions. Beautiful zombies walk the streets in high heels and tailored suits, while the mentally ill sleep on park benches and hold signs hoping for handouts. Ignorance is bliss.

California is a huge state, and my experiences involve such a small part of the big picture. I never spent a night on a gritty south L.A. street where crime is common and store windows have steel bars. I never spent a night in an extravagant penthouse overlooking the ocean, either. I lived somewhere in the middle, but I made many observations.

I've lived in California for four years, total. Two were spent in a big house in the hills of Encino, and two were spent in a small apartment in downtown Burbank, with a few years back home in Minnesota separating them. Each California experience was very different, but I'm grateful for them both. 

The list of things I miss about Southern California is pretty short, but there were definitely perks. 

1. The food is incredible. You can find flavors from around the world on the street outside our front door, and the produce selection is beyond anything I've seen elsewhere thanks to the long (non-stop?) growing season. Looking back I wish I had planted more food plants on our balcony.

2. A distinct lack of flying, biting bugs. In the winter a few mosquitoes might sneak in, but they're few and far between. 

3. Museums and educational places. Griffith Observatory, the Getty, the La Brea Tar Pits, the Natural History Museum - so many interesting things to see!

4. Very cool national parks, namely Joshua Tree and Sequoia/Kings's Canyon, and all the different wildlife. 

5. Our apartment's balcony. While living in the city sucked in many ways, our balcony was my happy place. I could sit outside and watch birds fly around the trees or watch people walking on the sidewalk. Some of my favorite times were spent hanging out on the balcony with Jordan, just chatting and enjoying each other's company.

I think that pretty much sums it up. I don't think California is terrible, but it pales in comparison to the north woods. More coming soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment