Welcome!


Each of us is experiencing a profound personal journey, and the stories we have to tell are beautiful and sad and awe-inspiring and scary. This blog is my story, and I'm excited to share it.


What this blog is about:

- The struggles of a northern country girl living in a fast-paced southern city.
- Homesteading research and planning, like deciding what food to grow and what animals to raise in the cold north.
- Art and creative projects I'm working on.
- My life goals including those related to art, writing, and homesteading.
- Nature and natural science, such as information on species I find interesting both in northern Minnesota and southern California.
- The journey that will lead my boyfriend and I out of the heat and into the snow.

Please read my first blog entry where I explain how I got where I am, where I'm going, and what this blog has to do with it: The Beginning

I would be honored if you joined me. Simply sign up your email address just below and to the right of this text - it's 100% free. By subscribing you become part of my motivational team, even if you never say a word. I need you!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

One Creative Thing at a Time

When I first attempted to do art as primary income, I failed. The second time I attempted to do art as primary income, I failed. Third time's a charm, right? It will be a while before I attempt again.

It took failing twice to show me how much I need to learn about the wide world of business. I basically tried to start a business without any business background or knowledge whatsoever. I was doomed to failure before I picked up my pencil and sketched my first commission.

I have a sizable backlog of owed artwork to complete, both from the Indiegogo campaign and previous work I've taken on since living in California (and promised gifts from long ago...). The art I owe ranges from simple digital sketches to complex real media paintings, as well as a couple animal costumes. I cannot take on new art commissions until I no longer have any art in my queue. I'm changing my focus and I have a ton of great personal projects I hope to pursue, but that can't happen until everything owed has been delivered.

I'm slowly learning how to run and manage a business, and I have my writing job to thank for that. Many of the blogs I write for are directed toward business professionals and I come across a lot of tips about marketing, selling, and building a brand. I've also been observing successful entrepreneurs doing the things I'd like to be doing someday, and figuring out what they've been doing that I haven't. It's been an eye-opening experience and I've learned a lot, and I'm sure I still have much to learn.

I've realized that my biggest downfall has been my tendency to take on too much and involve myself in multiple creative projects at the same time without a clear plan. The only way I can get through my backlog and continue doing art in the future is if I tackle one type of creative endeavor at a time, from start to finish, before moving on to the next. This has never been more clear to me.

Unfortunately, writing is a particular "creative project" and I've found that since I started this wonderful job that pays my bills, my ability to do art of any kind has nearly vanished. It's incredibly frustrating. I have mixed feelings about leaving this writing job in California when I move at the end of the month, but I'm looking forward to having a "normal" job that I actually leave the house for. It will help to have a set beginning and end to my work day, which is something I struggle to make for myself.

I was planning on having my entire art backlog (minus Indiegogo stuff) finished before moving, but it simply hasn't been possible. I haven't finished a drawing since January. I need a solid plan. I have to pick a creative focus and complete everything in that focus before moving to the next. I know this is the key to speeding up my progress.

Rather than continue beating my head against the wall over the next two weeks wondering why I can't get art done, I'm putting it on hold. Right now I need to focus on getting my writing done for work, getting my book started, and selling things before the move. These things must be done, and I thank my patrons for their continued patience.

After the move I will prioritize costumes, then old commissions, then Indiegogo work. One thing at a time. It will all be done in time.

No comments :

Post a Comment