Welcome!


Each of us is experiencing a profound personal journey, and the stories we have to tell are beautiful and sad and awe-inspiring and scary. This blog is my story, and I'm excited to share it.


What this blog is about:

- The struggles of a northern country girl living in a fast-paced southern city.
- Homesteading research and planning, like deciding what food to grow and what animals to raise in the cold north.
- Art and creative projects I'm working on.
- My life goals including those related to art, writing, and homesteading.
- Nature and natural science, such as information on species I find interesting both in northern Minnesota and southern California.
- The journey that will lead my boyfriend and I out of the heat and into the snow.

Please read my first blog entry where I explain how I got where I am, where I'm going, and what this blog has to do with it: The Beginning

I would be honored if you joined me. Simply sign up your email address just below and to the right of this text - it's 100% free. By subscribing you become part of my motivational team, even if you never say a word. I need you!

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Raising Reindeer

I've always had an interest in the exotic - things that are different from "normal." It might be because I have always thought of myself as weird and misunderstood, so I form an automatic kinship with other people, animals, and objects that fit that description. After all, I keep rats and snakes as pets. Both are still considered unconventional, though rats are less exotic now. Jordan and I hope to have a (descented) skunk someday as well, and other reptiles.

When it comes to planning my farm I can't settle for what's popular or average. I need something different. Sure, Rhode Island Reds are a great popular chicken breed, but Cream Legbars, Swedish Flower Hens, Kraienkoppes, and Marans are so much more unique and interesting! On that note, why keep sheep or cattle or horses when I can raise reindeer? Not that there's anything wrong with those other animals, but I'm drawn to what's different.

When I discovered reindeer (aka domesticated caribou) are actually a popular "exotic" farm animal, I was hooked. They thrive in northern climates, which is an important consideration when you intend to farm in Minnesnowta. Their calm, sweet demeanor make them great pets. They can be used for a variety of purposes, and money can be made by "renting" them out to be displayed at businesses petting zoo style, pulling small sleighs, and traveling to holiday events (or schools). Their naturally shed antlers can be sold or made into value-added products. Some farms raise them for meat. While reindeer sausage and jerky is probably delicious, I'm thinking of going more the showing and breeding route.

Look at those antlers!

I've always liked deer. My mom used to feed whitetails in the winter and some got very tame. They would follow me around the yard when I had the feed bucket. It was fascinating to watch their social dynamics and sometimes they would bed down and sleep in the yard. It was around then that I started thinking about what it would be like to have my own little farm someday, and I got to thinking about how some farms raise elk and bison, but reindeer didn't cross my mind until recently.

I've always loved the holiday season. The family celebrations and giving spirit are wonderful. I love the decorations - the wreaths, trees, sparkling lights, sleigh bells and holiday displays. Having reindeer is a way to connect with the spirit of the season in a big way, and spread some holiday cheer. 

I'm intimidated by the size of horses and I haven't spent very much time around them (though I would like to in the future). Reindeer are livestock of a very manageable size, and they fence easily. I like the idea of carting and sleigh pulling though, and reindeer can do that just as well - you just need more of them. Or they can pull a person on skis or a small sled. This site says reindeer can pull twice their body weight but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I have more research to do.



These are what I would call my ultimate goal animals, and having them is still at least 6-8 years away, if not more. A Google search revealed several reindeer farms in Minnesota and Wisconsin I can potentially visit and learn more about their care from, as well as eventually buy young reindeer. Gotta have long term goals, right? :)


If you're interested in learning more (and seeing more pictures) these are the reindeer farms I found:





Blessed Yule, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

No comments :

Post a Comment